Heading Text
(906) 395-0312 baragaclerk@up.net Baraga Township Logo with snowshoes Baraga MI Upper Michigan

History of Baraga Township

In 1875, Baraga County was organized by an Act of Legislature with the county seat established in L'Anse. James Bendry became Supervisor of Baraga Township as it then existed and served from 1875-1882. Following Bendry's steam operated sawmill in 1864 in Baraga, the next company to establish a mill was the Sturgeon River Company which was set up in 1883. This mill was later purchased by the Nester brothers of Saginaw, Michigan who continued to operate it for a number of years. The Nester mill was in competition with John Fink's mill. The Nesters' influence on Baraga continued in later years because of the shipyards which they established for building barges which were designed to carry one million board feet per trip.
The character of Baraga Township is reflected in its natural features; the Keweenaw Bay, rolling hillsides, farmlands, lakes, streams, woodlands, and open spaces help define those traits that draw people to the area. In the past major alteration and destruction of these natural features produced far reaching impacts, some of which can still be seen today. The Township's residents are aware of the quality of their environment, and support strong policies in favor of protecting the Township's natural features.
Natural Features
Natural features provide an essential element of the quality of life in Baraga Township. In addition to their recreational value, other benefits of natural features include: Clean water supplies for homes served by wells Wildlife habitats Ground water recharge and purification, flood control, pollution protection and the support of unique plant and animal life Productive agricultural land Aesthetics (views, serenity, rural nature, etc.)
Snow Birds in winter. Natural beauty recreation clean water wildlife Assinins Church on Keweenaw Bay history of baraga county James Bendry Nester mill
In the 1860's, the Northern Peninsula of Michigan was rapidly coming to the front as the most promising mineral region in all North America. An army of prospectors swarmed through the hills, valleys and mountains; new discoveries were constantly being made; mills and furnaces were constantly going up; the yield of bullion was steadily on the increase; capital was seeking investment; railroads penetrated in every direction and the career of Baraga County was onward and upward. In 1891, the village of Baraga was incorporated. The combined population of the village and township was 2,097. The formation of Covington Township in 1893 changed the geographical boundaries of Baraga Township. The first Supervisor of Baraga Township as we know it today was L. J. Callagher.
There were as many as seventeen one room schools in Baraga Township in the early 1900's. These schools were rural one room schools, first heated by a fireplace, later by a pot bellied stove.

The Value of Natural Features:

Copyright © Baraga Township 2021
(906) 353-6701 baragaclerk@up.net Baraga      Township

History of Baraga Township

In 1875, Baraga County was organized by an Act of Legislature with the county seat established in L'Anse. James Bendry became Supervisor of Baraga Township as it then existed and served from 1875-1882. Following Bendry's steam operated sawmill in 1864 in Baraga, the next company to establish a mill was the Sturgeon River Company which was set up in 1883. This mill was later purchased by the Nester brothers of Saginaw, Michigan who continued to operate it for a number of years. The Nester mill was in competition with John Fink's mill. The Nesters' influence on Baraga continued in later years because of the shipyards which they established for building barges which were designed to carry one million board feet per trip.
The character of Baraga Township is reflected in its natural features; the Keweenaw Bay, rolling hillsides, farmlands, lakes, streams, woodlands, and open spaces help define those traits that draw people to the area. In the past major alteration and destruction of these natural features produced far reaching impacts, some of which can still be seen today. The Township's residents are aware of the quality of their environment, and support strong policies in favor of protecting the Township's natural features.
Natural Features
Natural features provide an essential element of the quality of life in Baraga Township. In addition to their recreational value, other benefits of natural features include: Clean water supplies for homes served by wells Wildlife habitats Ground water recharge and purification, flood control, pollution protection and the support of unique plant and animal life Productive agricultural land Aesthetics (views, serenity, rural nature, etc.)
In the 1860's, the Northern Peninsula of Michigan was rapidly coming to the front as the most promising mineral region in all North America. An army of prospectors swarmed through the hills, valleys and mountains; new discoveries were constantly being made; mills and furnaces were constantly going up; the yield of bullion was steadily on the increase; capital was seeking investment; railroads penetrated in every direction and the career of Baraga County was onward and upward. In 1891, the village of Baraga was incorporated. The combined population of the village and township was 2,097. The formation of Covington Township in 1893 changed the geographical boundaries of Baraga Township. The first Supervisor of Baraga Township as we know it today was L. J. Callagher.
There were as many as seventeen one room schools in Baraga Township in the early 1900's. These schools were rural one room schools, first heated by a fireplace, later by a pot bellied stove.

The Value of Natural Features: